Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Northern States Road Trip (Days 8 and 9 - Call me Babe Ruth)

Yesterday:

We visited Marianne and Kevin (and children) for a couple of days in Amish country.  Here I am with William.
Marianne and I walked some laps around their property on a cool, misty morning.
Matthew and William cooking up pancakes.

I flipped a few as well, and then we topped the pancakes with delicious maple syrup straight from their maple trees.  Mmmm.
Later that afternoon we all gathered around a fire in the woods to enjoy roasted corn, homemade potato salad, hot dogs, and watermelon.  Anna drove out with her cute little baby to join us.
I can still taste that corn!  Yum.
Douglas enjoying some time on the trampoline.
In the evening a group of neighbors (Amish, Mormons, and Mormish) gathered for a Family Home Evening.  We began with a song from the Amish hymnal.  The words are as follows:

HOW BEAUTIFUL HEAVEN MUST BE

We read of a place that’s called heaven,
It’s made for the pure and the free;
These truths in God’s word He has given,
How beautiful heaven must be.

Chorus:
How beautiful heaven must be
Sweet home of the happy and free;
Fair haven of rest for the weary,
How beautiful heaven must be.

In heaven no drooping nor pining,
No wishing for elsewhere to be;
God’s light is forever, there shining,
How beautiful heaven must be.

[Chorus]

The angels so sweetly are singing,
Up there by the beautiful sea;
Sweet chords from their gold harps are ringing,
How beautiful heaven must be.

[Chorus]

I shared some experiences from my travels overseas.



And then it was time for baseball.  And oh what fun we had!


The two teams gathered for a photo before we became opponents on the field of battl........baseball.

"Here it comes!  Here it comes!"
"I'm going to SMASH this thing!"  This might have been when I popped the ball straight up in the air and got out. :)
"Oh no!"  Sam just hit one of our own players.
Sam did a fine job pitching for our team.
Time lapse video of our game.
Okay, it's too dark to continue.  Bring it in!

What a great day.  Thank you, Kevin and Marianne (and children......and neighbors!) for being such amazing hosts.  Twas a short visit, but very memorable.


Today:

 We drove to the Indianapolis Indiana Temple.

 I have now served (initiatory work, endowments, sealings, and/or baptisms for the dead) in every currently-operating LDS temple in the United States (a total of 73 temples, if I am counting correctly).  I had the thought that because today is the first day of operation for the Indianapolis Temple, there is a chance that I am the only person in the Church (right now) who has done work in all of the temples in the United States......unless Brother Goulding was here today. :)  Check out this article Sam sent to me:


 Another photo bomb!
 "It wasn't me.  He did it."

 Temple?  What temple?  I see only water to play in.
 Beautiful temple


No comments:

Post a Comment