Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Northern States Road Trip (Day 1 - Martin's Cove & Mount Rushmore)

We left our place at 3:00am this morning (Monday morning) and headed toward Martin's Cove (Wyoming).  Sam got pulled over in Rawlins, WY.  She was going slightly over the speed limit, but nobody was around and it was early in the morning, so the police officer must have been bored.  He ended up issuing a warning only.

We were a bit surprised by the cold temperatures (in the 40s) coming through Wyoming.  In fact, I don't think the temperature rose above 75 the entire day.  Twas beautiful!
Arriving at Martin's Cove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin%27s_Cove)
Our modern-day, self-propelled "handcart".  We decided to rent a van this time instead of taking the car.  I love all the space inside!
Douglas loves all the space as well.
Getting his diaper changed.  Dad, remember the little husky I brought back from Alaska for Douglas?  We named him Sourdough. :)
Devil's Gate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Gate_(Wyoming))

Pushing the "handcart" up the hill.

 Sam spotted this little guy while we were walking around.
 Devil's Gate
 Oh, the life of ease!  Spoon-fed while watching a movie.
Feet up, snack in my hand, movie, total concentration.... 
 ......that is, until the credits started rolling at the end of the movie, at which point there was no reason to keep the eyes open any longer.
 After another five hours of driving we arrived at Mount Rushmore.  I was very impressed with the entire facility.

We were in the middle of singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" when I received a fist to the face from Douglas' "WASHED the spider out!" hand motion.
 We arrived just in time (late afternoon) to see everything before their faces were covered by incoming storm clouds.
I tried to position him for a solo photo and this is what I got when I said, "Say cheese!"  Funny boy.

It is amazing to think that the Mormon pioneers endured months of hardships crossing the (almost) 1000 miles from Nauvoo to Martin's Cove while Sam and I drove over 600 miles in 10 hours.  My body is tired, but we are certainly blessed these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment