Tuesday, May 13, 2014

We need dirty diapers?

We were told today that our goal is to get 8-12 feedings and 3-4 wet/dirty diapers in the next 24 hours.  I never thought I would be excited to see a dirty diaper, but they told us that Douglas is a bit too yellow (bilirubin-jaundice - very common in babies) and that breastfeeding and the resulting wet/dirty diapers usually take care of the problem, so I'm excited when I see unclean diapers.  I'm sure that excitement will wear off soon.

We are also excited to leave this place tomorrow.  The staff have been very good to us, but it's time to go home.  I drove home last night to get a shower and a few hours of sleep in a real bed.  We're tired of people coming in the room to check this, clean that, deliver this, take that.  Douglas had an ultrasound this morning to make sure his previously-enlarged kidney has returned to its normal size.  It has.  He got another blood sample taken to test for jaundice.  He had his hearing examine.  He had an EKG because the pediatrician heard a varying heart rate when she checked his heart.  Everything has turned out well so far, but we look forward to having only one person constantly interrupting our daily (and nightly!) routine - Douglas.

The baby photographer came by today.



 I edited this photo, which is why it is more yellow than the others.  I paid for a DVD that contains all of the photos taken by the baby photographer (because I wanted digital copies), but she only edited her "top 15."

I edited this one as well.










 When we came over here early Sunday morning I brought my homemade bread, almond butter, honey, a cutting board, and a bread knife.  Why should I be without a good sandwich for three days?
 This is one of my jobs during our stay here - helping the nurses by pacifying Douglas during his check-ups.
 This is Douglas' favorite sleeping position.  He loves to have his hands up.

 Looking at Mommy
 Hands Up!

Shout-out to Aunt Lola and Aunt Roxie!  We're starting early with him.

 Family photos

No comments:

Post a Comment