Saturday, October 12, 2024

Pittsburgh and Flight 93 Memorial

 Friday, October 11th: I got up early and drove 4 1/2 hours north to visit Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.


My first stop was the historic Duquesne (pronounced "doo cain") Incline.








Pittsburgh has a large Eastern European community. One of my co-workers told me I should try pierogies (pronounced - in America - "per o geez") while in Pittsburgh. I hadn't heard of pierogies. So, my next stop was for food.

Pierogies are delicious. The other two items were good, but not as good as the pierogies.




Their food is Eastern European, but their garbage is from Wendy's. 😁
My next stop, and the main reason I went to Pittsburgh, was the brand new Pittsburgh House of the Lord, which was dedicated last month. I participated in baptisms for the dead. One of the names we had was Joseph William Smith, and a Brother Smith was the brother I baptized on behalf of Joseph William Smith. Brother Smith shares my goal of visiting as many Houses of the Lord as possible. He said he's up to 47 now. Pittsburgh is number 113 for me.

Saturday, October 12th: I spent last night in a hotel near the Pittsburgh House of the Lord. This morning I drove into Pittsburgh to wander around a bit, and boy did I wander! I'm sure I walked over five miles.
I began my wanderings at this mural of Roberto Clemente. Check out his fascinating story:
I sent this video to Sam's family. Spencer (Sam's brother) texted the following a few minutes after I sent the video:

Pittsburgh
Roberto Clemente

They know their baseball!







I love the artwork often found on buildings, bridges, and other locations in big cities.


They LOVE their beer in Pittsburgh. Wow, beer, beer, beer, everywhere.
This is where I ate lunch: a church converted into a brewery. But I still had an hour before they opened for lunch. So, I wandered around a little more in this part of town.
More interesting art.


The quote on the wall from Roberto Clemente says the following:
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make a difference in the world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on earth."
Now back to the church-turned-brewery for lunch.






After lunch, I drove 90 minutes east of Pittsburgh to visit the Flight 93 Memorial. What a powerful, heart-wrenching experience.
The uniquely-shaped visitor center building.


This is what the wind chimes sound like when the wind is blowing hard enough to move them:


No comments:

Post a Comment