Friday, November 16, 2018

Peru (Lima)

We took the train and bus back from Machu Picchu yesterday morning, dropped our stuff off at the hotel in Cusco, and then Doug and I went out for some shopping.  After shopping for a bit we stopped to get dinner.  I should mention that it rained for much of the morning, but stopped when we got on the train.  We had beautiful weather throughout our shopping.  It rained again while Doug and I ate dinner, but stopped just before we left the restaurant.  We did some more shopping, made it back to the hotel, and then it started raining heavily again.  My goodness!  The heavens are looking out for us.
 For dinner I ordered the baked guinea pig, which is a common dish around these parts.
 It tasted like chicken, or fish, or something familiar.  Not much meat on that thing.  Lots of bones.

Before our meals were brought out, the waiter brought out some bread, corn nuts (also a common snack here), and this cup of liquid.  I thought, "Oh, nice, some orange juice with my bread."  I put it to my lips, took a swig, and wow, that stuff was strong!  I asked the waiter what kind of juice it was and found out that it was "pisco sour," which is a Peruvian alcoholic cocktail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisco_sour).  I'm on a roll.  First I had that coca tea, now a bit of alcohol.  What next?!  A Peruvian tattoo?
Last night, once again, Doug and I did not sleep at all.  Could it be that the altitude of Cusco (11,000 feet) affected our sleep?  It didn't bother me a bit while I was hiking around, but when I tried to sleep I had a mild headache and a stomach ache the entire night.  This morning (in Cusco) at breakfast the only thing that sounded good to me was the Doogles breakfast:  a white-butter sandwich with strawberry liquid (Kefir) yoghurt.  I still have stomach issues here in Lima (sea level), so it can't be the altitude.  I need to get back to good old processed American food. :)
Doug, Clara, Miguel, Daniel
We flew back to Lima this morning, dropped our luggage at the hotel, and drove one hour across the city to the Lima Peru Temple.  We ate lunch at the cafeteria and then did some initiatory work.  Lima was temple #99 for me.  One more to go!
Jose, Doug, Miguel, Clara
Miguel and Clara
Skinny bald gringo
Ever seen this before?  Think Dallas Temple, Boise Temple, Chicago Temple.
Doug, Miguel, Clara, Tina (Miguel's aunt), Jose, Andres (Miguel's uncle), and Carmela (Miguel's mother)
This afternoon/evening we spent some time chatting with some of Miguel's relatives.  It was a fitting finale to our fabulous Peru trip.  A huge THANK YOU to Miguel and Clara, and their friends and family members, who made this a memorable experience for us.  You are wonderful people.


And last, but not lest, a photo of Penny.  How many children WANT to use a snot sucker?  Penny likes using it on herself.  Funny girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment