Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Asterix, jello earthquake, Douglas's piano recital, Saratoga Springs Temple open house, Douglas turns 9, fairy gardens, etc.

 

My siblings and I grew up reading the Asterix and Obelix books. Recently, my sister (Sara) found the entire series available on Amazon. So, we bought it. Douglas wasn't sure at first about the comic strip-style reading, but now all three of the children are hooked. They love the characters and the stories.




On our recent trip to France, Sam found these three Pez dispensers at a local market.
As part of their homeschooling, one day Sam taught the kids about plate tectonics and they tested their marshmallow structures on a jello earthquake. Myles, our neighbor, joined in the fun.

Here's a video of Douglas testing his marshmallow building on the jello:

The jello showing the different layers of the earth.
Only Miles and Sam liked eating the jello. So, the kids destroyed the layers instead of eating them.
Joseph, my brother, had two different surgeries in the past few months. I received this photo one day and we joked that the two cripples (my mother and brother) were out for a walk. 
Random photo of me visiting friends in Washington, D.C. I'm not a fan of animals in the house. Their big dog was being friendly with me, so I told him to smile for a picture.
We bought some yard care equipment recently. I think this is the first time I've used a lawn mower in my adult life. With Douglas getting older there's no need to pay a neighbor to take care of our lawn anymore.

I love watching Douglas's face while he plays. He's a true pianist!
All of the participants in the April piano recital.
Douglas and a few other students received awards for their piano accomplishments.


Penny and Diana walking to church on a recent Sunday.
Penny, Diana, and Douglas at church.
We attended the Saratoga Springs Temple open house earlier this month with Sara and her children, Eric (Sara's boyfriend), and my Dad.


Gideon, Maxwell, Douglas, Denali, Penny, Diana

"Yeah, I'm nine!" We celebrated Douglas's 9th birthday on May 11th.
Savanah (a neighbor friend), Penny, Diana, Douglas
Douglas requested a lemon cake for his birthday.






Douglas painting a pot he made at a local art studio for kids.

Douglas has been suffering from mouth sores for the past few days, and my father-in-law (Grandpa Coombs) has been suffering from severe back pain. Here is Diana's recent heartfelt prayer for them:

Sam helped the girls purchase flowers for their fairy gardens and yesterday they created their gardens.




Penny and Diana made clay fairy houses at the same art studio mentioned above.

Douglas started tennis lessons again. The piano shirt he's wearing was a birthday present from his Granny. She accidentally ordered an adult medium shirt instead of a youth medium, but Douglas loves his baggy shirt. Penny loves big, baggy shirts as well.
Douglas gave this card to me last month.
Over the past month or so the kids have been watching the process of caterpillars turning into butterflies. Yesterday we released the butterflies.





Last night we took the kids to Cherry Hill to play miniature golf. When we arrived at this particular hole, Douglas made the comment that you have to hit the ball under the "title" of liberty, which is a reference to Captain Moroni's standard raised to rally the Nephites to defend their liberties. Read the Book of Mormon for more information. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment