Friday, April 24, 2015

Chastised by an eight-year-old

 I took Douglas and Ari up to the Y this morning.  It turned out to be quite miserable for Douglas, but the beginning of the hike was great.  Ari was handing rocks to Douglas (I was carrying Douglas) and Douglas would throw the rocks and laugh.  Ari even shared his protein bar with the little man.
 During one of our breaks on the way up the trail Ari looked out over the lake and asked, "Is that Cantaloupe Island out there?"  I replied, "Um, you mean Antelope Island?"  We got a good laugh out of that one.
 Things turned bad when I set Douglas down on the ground so he could play with the rocks and wander around a bit.  He took one wrong step and face-planted into the trail.......hard!  He had a nice bump on his forehead, lots of dirt up his nose, etc, etc.  This picture was taken a few minutes after his fall.

The temperature was cool, but I thought it was great because I was carrying Douglas and a backpack. Little did I realize that Douglas was freezing.  I thought that with him strapped to my chest he would stay nice and toasty.  As we approached the top of the hike he really started complaining.  I thought he was hungry so I put him down to feed him, which is when I noticed his entire body shaking and his lips turning blue.  Oops!  I covered his head and held him close the rest of the way to the Y, but by then it was too late.  He screamed whenever the cold wind came through the cracks in the baby carrier and hit his face.  I apologized to Ari and told him that we couldn't spend any time on the Y, and we began our descent.  Douglas quickly fell asleep as he warmed up.

Ari must have heard me complain multiple times (in the past) about not having any patience and not wanting more children due to the fact that I can hardly handle one, because on the way down the trail (and out of the blue) he told me, "Uncle Daniel, you always complain about not having patience and not wanting more children.  You should stop thinking about yourself and think about my mom and Aunt Elizabeth."  Wow, was the Lord trying to tell me something through my eight-year-old nephew?

 This afternoon Sam, Stacie, Douglas, Jude and I went to the Payson Temple open house.  Oh, what a temple!

 There were some strong winds bringing in the storm we're expecting this afternoon.

 Right after we put the little, white, disposable booties over our shoes in order to enter the temple, Jude walked inside and stated, "These are like the things that girls put on their heads to keep their hair dry......just on our feet."
 Little Harry Potter.  You can see the result of his spill up on Y Mountain.

Once again, the Lord provided the scenery and all I had to do was push the button on my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment