Yesterday I drove south to Richmond, Virginia, to visit my nephew, Ari (Elder Frye), who is currently serving in the Richmond, VA Mission. The drive should take two hours, but I forgot the I-95 is one of the worst freeways in the country and one should avoid it anytime during the day. Because of traffic, my two-hour drive turned into a three-hour drive. When it comes to driving in traffic, I have the patience of my dear Mother, who would often drive a longer distance simply to avoid having to stop. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very good (physically or attitudinally--yes, that's a word; I Googled it 😁) when I arrived in Richmond.
From there I went to Costco to buy a bunch of stuff for Elder Frye and his companion. When I finished, I loaded the items into the car and called the Elders to see if I could drop the stuff off at their apartment. They told me they were about to start a quick lesson with someone interested in the Church, but that they would send their address to me and they would meet me at the apartment in about 25 minutes. Five minutes went by. No address. 10 minutes went by. No address. As the minutes passed, I sent the following messages to the Elders.
Almost immediately upon entering Popeyes, Michael, the district manager of several Popeyes locations in the area, came out to talk to us. He's a good, positive, God-loving man. He said he felt that he should buy our food for us, and he did! He told us about growing up in the "hood" in Delaware, making many poor choices, serving a four-year sentence in prison, and completely turning his life around. Now he shares his God-given gifts with others.
One month or so ago, while I waited for an appointment in our stake center back home in Kaysville, I looked at all the missionary plaques from the different wards in our stake. I noticed a young woman from another ward was serving in Ari's mission. As it turned out, she was one of the two sisters playing basketball with us last night. Small world.















No comments:
Post a Comment